Thursday, November 13, 2014

Comics - Spider-Verse

I think it was inevitable but I guess I will be talking about comics here as well.


So Spider-Verse officially kicked off last Wed, now they have been building to it for a few months now with extra issues they put out of Superior Spider-Man, the Edge of Spider-Verse mini, and backups in Amazing Spider-Man. Now I'm a huge Dan Slott supporter, and I wasn't necesarily sure about this one. The idea of using every version/costume of Spider-Man there has ever been is kind of crazy. Plus they have also been introducing new Spider-People from other dimensions and some of them are pretty cool, but the villains hadn't really clicked with me yet. The villains go from Dimension to dimension, killing Spider/Animal totems for sustenance. They just seemed to have no trouble taking out these various versions of Spider-Man to the point of how could our Spider-Man getting involved possibly make a difference. And some of them were downright annoying to read. So like i said I wasn't going into it very confident.


But then Amazing Spider-Man #9 came out, and it all made sense, it all worked for me. First I was just surprised that Olivier Coipel was drawing it, didn't realize he was doing this event, so honestly I don't know whether I liked it so much because Coipel is just such a good artist, or its actually a good story, also don't care. I loved this book so much and I can't wait for the next issue. First they bring all the Marvel Universe Spider-People together, then the multiverse gets involved. It was a serious story and also fun to read. Slott is teetering on the edge of lighthearted and humorous and also going to some really dark places, which is where I think he likes to be. Plus the group of villains they have been showing, this issue focused on Morlun, who was introduced and was a main character in Straczynski's run(where I started reading Spider-Man). But now Slott has gone a bit bigger with it, introducing his whole family, but bringing him back into focus was really interesting to me. Since while this family goes about the Multiverse killing Spiders, our Spider-Man is the only one who ever defeated one of them and he did it twice.

I picked up Spider-Verse Team-Up and Spider-Verse(anthology) books, was originally going to skip them like i did with Spider-Island, but gonna give them a chance. In other Spider-News, Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man, has been a great read the last few months and I feel its not getting any attention. But in a week where Axis also came out, the one I was most excited about was Ultimate Spider-Man. They are doing crazy stuff in that book and I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment