Saturday, November 29, 2014

Games - Metroid Madness

So I don't know why but I've been obsessed with Metroid.

I don't remember what kicked it off, but I started looking for video Retrospectives on Metroid Prime, and how they ended up translating Metroid from 2D to 3D, I'm fascinated with that process and the challenges they had to figure out. From there, I had a hankering to play one of the Prime games. The WiiU can play Wii games, so I ended up playing the beginning of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. I have owned the game since it came out, but had never played passed one of the early boss encounters(Ridley) because I kept failing because I was having a hard time with the Wii Controls. This time around I got to that point again, and on the 3rd try I got passed it, and finished what is essentially the prologue or intro to that game. I don't know if I will play more of it, The Wiimote controls are still annoying to me.

From there I ended up downloading the Gamecube Emulator Dophin. In my Metroid video search I had come accross some comparisons from the SD 480 Gamecube video, to playing on the Dolphin, which can upscale it to HD 1080.

The Dolphin emulator also does some graphical tricks the Gamecube couldn't and does them by default. So just about all the games look a lot better. Metroid Prime still looks pretty darn good when up-scaled, would love to see a version native to the WiiU that will let me use the control pad. So I've messed around with that a lot trying to get a good control scheme. Even as tough as it was to go back and use the Wiimote and Nunchuck to play Corruption, it was even super hard to go back to the Gamecube control scheme. I thought I could give it modern shooter controls if I used the Wii version of the original Metroid Prime which uses the Corruption control scheme to do free aiming, by pointing the Wiimote. I was wrong, while I was able to map it to the analog stick, it always moves the target reticle back to center. So I may just give up and use the standard Gamecube controls and play it that way(because I have so much free time)*

Then the very next day I was told about how Metroid II: Return of Samus was available for free on 3DS if you have enough Nintendo Club points. So I did that and downloaded it. Then one of the "Black Friday" deals on the Nintendo eShop was for Metroid Fusion....so I downloaded that for the WiiU. Then I thought about playing through all the Metroid games in order, so then I busted out Metroid: Zero Mission for my GBA Emulator(I lost the cartridge), and started playing a bit of that...which is another game I wish was on the WiiU eShop, I mean if Fusion is on there why not Zero Mission. Then I just got stuck in the idea that someone should remake Metroid II, like they did for Zero Mission.

To finish it off, I ended up playing like an hour of Super Metroid on the WiiU which I already had. Also thinking about booting up Other M, and finally seeing what the fuss us about. Regardless of the story, I hear the gameplay is good in that game, and that is all I really care about.


*Side Note about Emulation: I own every Metroid game I mentioned in this post either physical copy or digitally. Metroid: Zero Mission only one I can't produce because I lost the cart long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment