Monday, January 5, 2015

New Years Game Project Week 1 (Jan 1 - 4)

So my New Years Project this year is to try and finish a bunch of games I have been sitting on for a bit in some cases. Donkey Kong Country Returns for Wii, Rayman Legends for WiiU, Super Mario 3D World for WiiU, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker for WiiU, and Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams on Steam. Some of these games I had started before or forgot exactly where I was, just knew I didn't finish them. I will be playing 1 level a day in all these games till they are complete. I had originally hoped to stream or post video each day but I aparently don't have the equipment for that. I may do it for Giana Sisters going foreward, just because thats a PC game and I can record that easilly.

Donkey Kong Country Returns(DKCR)
I discovered I had gotten to the 3rd Main Area of DKCR, the Ruins, so I started going at it getting used to the controls again. One thing I remembered was that unlike the SNES DKC games, Kongs can't do any roll attacks, which feels very limiting, there are a lot of enemies that you can't jump on, so I really want to roll into them. General platforming has been good, and the levels are challenging. Now I was a big fan of the original DKC on SNES, and I got just about everything in that original game. This game collects the 4 KONG letters as well as I think 9 puzzle pieces in each stage. While the KONG letters aren't too hard to find, though they can be tricky, the puzzle pieces make me feel stupid. I look all over for those pieces and only come accross maybe 3, though the worst is when they show you the pieces in the level and you jump around and look all over with no way to see how to get it, which can be very frusterating. But overall good so far, if I had to play more time in one sitting I might get annoyed.

Rayman Legends
In this game I had gotten to the 4th World entitled "20,000 Lums under the Sea". So first I forgot how to run, also I usually play as the viking girl, she has an axe, and looks rad. Just in general I find her way less annoying than globox and cooler than rayman himself. I was near the end of that section after playing my one level a day, I'm excited for tomorrow because the next one is the final level of this section and the Musical level which are always pretty fun. The ones before this were 2 boss levels basically, I thought it was weird they did one after another. The first one is a Chase level, Dragon chasing me underwater and though some tunnels. I died a lot, but made it. The next one was against a Robot Dragon who looked fantastic. You walk on him like a platform at first, then after you land on a button he comes to life and you see him uncoil in forground and then in the background. That whole game just looks fantastic, its challenging as heck, and when you pull on big chains in that game you feel like a total boss.

Super Mario 3D World
So I didn't realize how far I was in this game. I was at the Castle level and I didn't have enough Green Stars to unlock the boss castle. So I spent the first 2 days playing more than 1 level in the game playing previous levels to try and get my Green Star count high enough to finish, I needed 16. After Jan 1st and 2nd, on the 3rd I was able to finally do the new level, which I kind of thought was the final level in the game, and the game re-enforces that by showing you all the previously rescued pixies all together, and you even defeat bowser and then goto the flagpole. Then after the level finish screen pops up and the score comes up, it then peels back and you see Bowser snatch all the pixies again and then takes off. The game then leads you from the Castle level to the Bowser level, which now makes me think this is the last world in the game. Another challenging game, still a lot of fun, I normally used Princess as my character in most of that game previously, but right now I'm using Mario and liking it, makes the game feel more difficult and even more pure. These are in theory the final levels so I expect them to be hard, and the first one was pretty hard, but in a good way.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Now unlike the rest this is a new game, and has the shortest levels so I have been doing 2 of these levels each day. That game looks soooo good, the Nintendo art style is just fabulous, and freakin adorable. Unlike the rest, I actually started from the beginning so this might be the last game standing after I finish the rest. The levels havn't gotten too challenging yet, but they are fun, and I enjoy going back to do the secret objective in each level. Super simple, super fun, super adorbs. This game I couldn't wait on and actually played more levels than I was supposed to, but now I'm slowing down.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
This is the the roughest of all the games I'm playing, the levels are long and due to the nature of the art style can be hard to determine exactly what can hurt you. Another game like Rayman that I died a LOT in. You play as 2 sisters who you switch between on the fly, the art style changes depending on which sister your using, the switching between is the most impressive part, the world morphs from one style to another from demons to happy birds from fire to an swamp and all the backgrounds as well. Each sister has a unique ability, one does a fire dash in the direction your holding which can kill enemies and bounce you around the level, the other does a spin jump and can slowly float towards the ground. I had played the first 2 or 3 levels before, so these few days got me to the first boss, who was a bitch and a half, took a lot of dying and patterns watching to even figure out how I was supposed to hurt this thing, but I'm in the second set of levels now powering ahead. This game has a lot of secret area, even when I find a bunch of them, end of the level tells me I still missed a bunch but in that regard its still less annoying than DKCR, cause it doesn't taunt me with things in plain view.

I plan to keep updating as I go along, daily or weekly depending on how things go tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment