Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Games - *new* Nintendo 3DS etc.

So the *new* Nintendo 3DS XL(n3DSXL) came out on the 13th, and I did plan on getting it, but I didn't pre-order it, nor was going to get on the first day. My plan was to wait for the bonus I was getting for all the traveling I do for work, and then buy it. As it happens I had a last minute trip to Flo-Rida on the 12th, coming home Friday morning on the 13th. So after getting there on Thursday and finding that this trip was not as easy as I was told, so I had to extend my trip from leaving 6am Friday morning to 8pm Friday evening. I went into the job site around 9 on Friday and no one came to let me in, so I left. There was mall nearby so I decided to check things out there to waste time. That's when it began, my buddy Harold started messaging me. He had been excited about getting the n3DSXL and counting down the days, going over the plans he had for upgrading. He had a 2DS like me, so he was kind of letting me know everything I had to do. Harold was telling me he was on his way to Gamestop to get in line for his n3DSXL. Gamestop was offering $70 off the n3DSXL if you were trading in a 2DS towards it. So I was around the Mall and thinking...they probably have a Gamestop around here, and its almost 10am....maybe I should check this out. But then I got called back into work, so I went back.

After I got there, and past the front door, the guy realized I couldn't do anything until some spare parts arrived, which wouldn't be for over an hour, so he said I could take off and he would msg me when they were ready. So I took off again! The Gamestop wasn't open yet, but now I had it in my mind, so I went to Office Depot to get a micro-SD adapter, since I would need that to transfer. Then I went to the Mall's Gamestop, where there was small line of people. When I got to the front of the line, he told me they only had enough for pre-orders. So I left slightly sad, but its kind of what I expected. All the while Harold telling me about how he was home and doing his system transfer, telling me how pretty the n3DSXL is. At that point it was in my brain...I now needed it. But just as I was deciding where to look next, I got the call to go in for work. So I did that, but thankfully it didn't last long.

So after going in around 11am, I was done by 3:30pm, and my flight wasn't till 8pm. So by that point I went to another Gamestop and got the same story there, only enough for pre-orders. But I was already formulating a plan, because they only reason I was using Gamestop was because of that $70 for trading it in towards the n3DSXL. But because I didn't pre-order I don't think I could do it anyway, plus the deal was only for that day. So I inquired how much it is normally to trade in a 2DS, and they told me about $50...and that was more than enough to buy Majora's Mask, which everyone had plenty of. So I went to Walmart with high hopes. As it turns out they had plenty of n3DSXLs. So I purchased it for full price, easy-peasy.

So now I have it, but now I had to transfer my Data. I needed a reliable Wi-Fi connection, so I looked for a Starbucks, got a Flat White. And sat down to begin that business. Got 2DS and 3DS on the internet, so they could start the transfer, and I must say it was nerve wracking. I just had to watch the transfer, not knowing how long the battery would hold out on the uncharged n3DSXL, or how long the transfer would take. Some of it went fast other parts super slow. But it went through without incident. The next step was to transfer the SD card to a micro-SD card, and man can I say how annoying it is that they switched to a micro, making me buy another thing *grr*. At first I thought I was going to need to buy a card reader because I didn't think my work laptop had a SC card slot, but I found it, it was different than my last laptop, and not in a super obvious spot. So that made it easy, I took my SD card and dumped the contents on my laptop, put in the micoSD with adapter and put all my stuff on it.

So now everything is set, just have to get the micro-SD in the n3DSXL, at which point I realized I would need a screwdriver. then contemplated going to Walmart again to buy a small screwdriver set. Thats when I felt dumb and remembered I had had my tool bag which has many screwdrivers. Unlike the other models of the 3DS the micro-SD is actually inside the system. Had to unscrew 2 screws then detatch the bottom, which was the most terrifying moment of all, because it feels like your gonna bend the plastic enough to crack it. But it all went well. I had all my stuff an especially my streetpasses were intact.

The last thing was going back to Gamestop, getting the regular trade it value for my 2DS, and then using that to buy Majora's Mask and a charge cable, since I had to give up my 2DS charge cable, and the n3DSXL didn't come with one. So then I ran to Chipotle, and then the airport, and let it charge there till it had enough battery to last the whole trip home. Which I spent enjoying Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds in 3D for the first time. Spent my time with that game looking for the last of the collectibles in that game. So now I am finished with that. Man just firing the n3DSXL up with the 2DS right there, man the screens are HUGE and the new face-tracking 3D they added works great. I'm really liking my time with it so far, spending a lot of time playing it lately, because of travel, and the wife hogging the TV with Dragon Age: Inquisition. So I will definitely be talking more 3DS stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment