Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Games - Castlevanias / God of War: Ascension

So I completed Circle of the Moon, and I decided to play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, as that was another game I played long ago so I don't remember any of the specifics. But it became a delema as to what system to play it on, use my PS1 disk and play it in my PS2 or PS3, play the version I have on XBox360, or download the PS Classics version on PS3. Just for kicks I booted up the version on my Xbox, played that for 30mins or so. It just felt so different than Circle of the Moon, character seemed to move a lot slower, it almost kind of looked only a little better than a GBA game blown up for TV. Its a game sorely in need of a little remastering, uprezzing or redrawing those sprites. Also just a lot of random visual effects.

Then the other night I purchased Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance. I played a few hours of that game, and MAN does that game want to be Symphony of the Night. I probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't just played it the day before. The look of the main character, the save rooms, and it has that slower character speed, and the effects they do for character movement are all VERY similar to Symphony. But in the end I gave it a chance, and I just wasn't feeling it. So I bit the bullet and just moved onto Aria of Sorrow, and man that is a good game. After getting through the dialogue heavy start, I've really enjoyed it and spent about 5 hours with it over the weekend. It has the slower move speed that i'm not a huge fan of, but the magic system is great, as opposed to getting cards from certain unspecified enemies in Circle of the Moon, this game all enemies have the potential to drop a "soul" which is this games collectable. Each soul can give you a subweapon, a stat boost, or a special modifier, and you can have one of each type equiped at a time, to make for a bunch of ability combinations. They use a lot of the same enemies as before but they are different, and they add some cool new ones as well. I like the Skeleton Butler and they have an enemy who attacks you from mirrors, just some cool new ideas from a game that usually doesn't have new enemy types, and some fun ones at that. I actually found myself uncertain where to go at one point, and found a boss fight that I was grossly underpowered for. Found out where I was supposed to go, and from there I am leveled so high that I have had little trouble since. Plus I'm actually using a lot of my items in this game. I had to actually stock up on potions for a boss battle when I normally only ever just use Antidotes when poisoned. Also started playing more Symphony of the Night, slowly leveling through that game. Found myself abusing the Stop Time subweapon to farm experience for a bit. Enjoying these games quite a bit, but will probably take a break after these 2. Also finally started God of War: Ascension for PS3, first impression was good, standard GOW action, crazy scale to the bosses and levels you don't see anywhere else. My only problem was it took 1 HOUR to download all the updates needed to run. It had 9 updates, most over 600MB. Used much of my time to play waiting for download, so I only got about 30mins into the game. Will play more of that depending where I am in the house and what the wife is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment