Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Games - Punch Out!

Again at the forefront of the latest and hottest games, I played the Wii version of Punch Out!. I was hunting for videos about game design again and I found one that talked about that Wii Punch Out game and touted its virtues, and it got me interested enough to go and find it. I had a $25 giftcard to Gamestop, and thankfully they had a copy which was only about $27. I was able to play it last night and the wife was playing Dragon Age: Origins on the TV, so I played it on the WiiU Gamepad. Since its a Wii game I had to use a Wiimote to actually play it. I thought I would be fine because the game uses the wiimote like a NES controller, but it needed you to point for the menus. Thankfully I discovered that if you point it at the Gamepad, it registers, which is super nifty, I can't believe Nintendo thought of that. So the game is actually really sharp, animation looks fantastic, gameplay is tight and quick and totally the same as original NES Punch Out. In this case that is a good thing, since there hasn't been a game like that in a while. All the characters are so expressive, and other than the characters all being a bit *racially insensitive" which I can look past. Its a simple game, that looks super sharp, that to be honest it feels like a really great downloadable game. I just don't feel a Punch Out style game has enough content to warrant a full price tag in this day and age. Obviously its not that day and age anymore, I didn't pay full price and was happy to get it. I mean if you are really good at Punch Out from the get go you could probably finish the while game in maybe 2 hours. For better or for worse, I am not good at Punch Out NES or Wii so this game will last me a while. Despite my reservations about this having been a full price game when it came out, I think this game is really cool it captures the NES gameplay and characters perfectly, and soo much character in each of the fighters. Once my new years project is done I may come back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment