Monday, November 17, 2014

Comics - Axis/Godhead

Okay 5 Issues in we finally get to the promise of Axis, and this issue was good, but we're kind of where I imagined we'd be by #2. A bunch of heroes have been turned evil, and some villains are out doing good now. Things go real bad, real fast, and we see how bad these heros have fallen and how far they are prepared to go. Fal-Cap's behavior inparticular being the most terrifying to me. They havn't shown too much of the villains being good guys in the main book, other than a bit about Carnage last issue, seems to be mostly in the Tie-Ins. I'm glad Adam Kubert is no longer drawing the book, I'm just not a big fan of his work. I'm much happiuer with Lenil Yu on the last issue, and this issue was with Terry Dodson.

Onto DC and their Green Lantern Event Godhead. Now I was a big fan of Green Lantern books during the Johns run. Got lots of great GL stories and then he wrapped it up with a bow when he left, and felt like a good time to jump off. But the covers for Godhead drew me in, it was eyecatching, and i liked the quotes they were using on the covers. Act 1 of Godhead ran through a One-Shot and then GL, GL: Corps, GL: New Guardians, Sinestro, and Red Lanterns. Red Lanterns was the only book that seemed like a tie-in as opposed to part of the main story. Basically the New Gods have learned of the colored lanterns, and stole a ring from each Corps. They thought by combining their power they would have the Life Equation, which would be the ultimate weapon to finally defeat Darksied. Turns out its not, they now think the Lantern Corps are an abomonation to the power of the spectrum, and want to wipe them all out. While Kyle Rayner the White Lantern who everybody else thought was dead since he crossed the source wall, seems to have the Life Equation inside him.

So far I'm enjoying the actual story, but it feels a little drawn out by the fact it has to be in all these books. What I am liking in that its pretty friendly to lapsed readers. They are doing a good job getting me up to speed on whats been going on with Hal, John, Guy, and Kyle. Though I will say nothing prepared me for Carol Ferris being with Kyle, was very surprised by that. Just started reading Act 2, its continuing to be good. In the latest issue of GL(#36) Hal and Sinestro have a discusion that kind of describes my entire issue with Hal since he became leader of the Green Lanterns after John's left the book. So if the quality keeps up, I may continue with the book after the crossover. But to be honest all the books still feel too interconnected, the fact they keep involving every single book and do these crossovers, makes me not want to continue, feel like I'm missing something if I don't read them all, and I just can't read/keep up with them all forever..

No comments:

Post a Comment