Friday, January 30, 2015

Games - Wario Lands / Donkey Kong / Rhythm Heaven / Imports?


So as it turns out Club Nintendo is being closed as of later this year. Before they close the doors on it they are letting you spend your Nintendo Coins on some virtual console games, and they plan on adding another bunch of them in February. I got Donkey Kong for the original Gameboy on the 3DS, which was one of my favorite games on that system. It starts out like classic arcade Donkey Kong, and then once you defeat the fourth stage, the game opens up. Kong steals Pauline and runs off, then the real stages begin. They have a bunch of stages broken into 9 Worlds with a varying amount of stages in each one. In each level there is a key and a door, the trouble comes in getting the two of them together. They start out easy, and get progressively difficult, it becomes more puzzle game than platformer. They add in all kinds of mechanics not in the original Donkey Kong, in addition to jumping and the hammers you now can pick up certain enemies a la Super Mario Bros 2, you can swing on wires to reach new heights, also they have blocks that let you place platforms/spring boards/ladders/blocks wherever you can in the world for a limited amount of time. Its also the first time Mario can do his reverse jump that's higher than his regular jump. There are also levers in some levels that extend and retract bridges.

If you can't tell I really like this game. I spent a LOT of time with it as a kid. The game is fiendish in some spots, I really hope I'm smart enough to finish it now. It was also the first game that had extra features for the Super Game Boy, which was the cartridge for the SNES that let you play Gameboy Games on the TV. But I am currently in level 6.


Also on the Nintendo Club is Super Mario Land for Gameboy, which is alright and has some fantastic music. But it made me want to play Super Mario Land 2: The 6 Golden Coins, so I bought that on the eShop, and played through it in about 2 hours or so. That game is also the first appearance of Wario, in that game he is the Final Boss. Finishing that game made me want to play Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land. Which is another game I played a TON of as a kid. So I purchased that game on the eShop as well as Wario Land 2 and 3. I have never played 2 or 3 before, but I hear they are very interesting. So depending on how fast I get through the first Wario game, I may tackle that. I actually have a bit of travel coming up so there will time on airplanes for me to do some serious progression.


Nintendo did one of their "Nintendo Direct" videos talking about the games coming out this year. Then mentioned a new Rhythm Heaven game coming to the 3DS. Which got me revisit the DS version of Rhythm Heaven, which I like a lot. If you have not played it before its a bunch of timing based mini levels, all animated in some cool styles, and you end up making some fun little music diddies by playing them. All the levels are pretty weird in the way WarioWare is weird(made by the same team). Its reminded me how much I like these games, and in some of those levels the music is so infectious, but that game gets kind of hard especially the farther you get into it. I'm a former drummer and I think my timing is pretty good, but the game has 2 main ways of input, tapping the screen and flicking it, and I'm terrible at flicking for some reason. This also made me wanna play more of Rhythm Heaven Fever on the Wii, which I bought and played for only about 30mins. The animated style in that game looks fantastic on a bigger screen, so crisp! After spending more time with that, Its totally the same as the other games but some new games, and more crazy animated stuff. The one I've liked the most so far is Its a guy wearing a wrist watch, but it zooms in and on the end of the second hand of the watch is a little monkey and that is your guy, then at each second hand of the watch is a little door and other monkeys pop out. The game is you have to hit the A-Button to high-five them as you go past them.


I also found out that the first game in the Rhythm Heaven series wasn't released outside of Japan, it was for the GBA and known as Rhythm Tengoku. I found one on eBay for $17, and because of the gameplay I don't need to speak Japanese. So this will be my first import game! Probably the first of not many...but potentially a few. Mario and Wario, I'm looking at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment